Sunday, October 28, 2007

Persona Non Grata

That’s me at the University of Arizona. I was reminded of this last week when I volunteered to take part in a reading of “How I Learned To Drive.” A member of the University’s English department had asked some of us to read for his class in dramatic literature. Happy to oblige.

Just try to park legally to do a good deed!

Readers of this blog know I’m a motorcyclist. There’s a family car that’s used by my wife, but my personal transportation is my motorcycle, and that’s why I’m not welcome at the University: Motorcycles are denied access to all University parking structures. It’s a real pain in the butt.

It’s not perfectly clear why this is, or why the university powers would prefer I drive my relatively low-gas-mileage, emissions-emitting car rather than my very high mileage, low emissions motorcycle. I guess they would rather have one big car occupy the space than three paying bikers.

The result is that living on the town side of the town and gown divide the University is as useless to me as a large box factory.
Maybe less—the box factory would at least pay taxes. The U? Can’t park so I don’t go.

Grrrr.



No comments: