Friday, December 14, 2007

Chemical Enhancements

The hoopla over the Mitchell report leaves me underwhelmed. The fact that successful athletes have been using illegal body boosters is old news, and slyly enhancing stuff is as American as apple pie.

Actors have “a little work done,” pit crews bend and break rules to go a little faster and NFL receivers put “stickum” on their gloves to help with impossible catches. We love the results and the sports merchants and team owners love the money.

Anabolic steroids don’t make athletes better, just stronger. If you lack eye-hand coordination, a mastery of the psychology of the sport, a natural passion and will to succeed, or the willingness to train, you can take steroids til your neck is the size of an oak tree’s trunk. You’ll still be lousy.

I think the validity and wonder of the sports records of the past 20 years are a lot less tarnished than people worry about.

1 comment:

Dustin said...

"I think the validity and wonder of the sports records of the past 20 years are a lot less tarnished than people worry about."

Maybe so, but I suspect that a guy who goes from 1 homer in 16 at bats, to 1 in 8 has something to do with bat speed and power a la barry bonds. Guys crushing the ball and hurling pitches at outrageous speeds gives me pause. As if I could not care less about baseball. I like my athletes un-roided myself.