Wednesday, May 10, 2006

CD8 Three More Unions Endorse Giffords

The Data Port received the following press release yesterday:

TUCSON, Ariz. – Three additional labor unions have joined the large and growing coalition backing former state Sen. Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat running in Arizona's 8th Congressional District.

The following unions have announced their support for Sen. Giffords:

*The United Brotherhood of Carpenters of America (Southwest Regional Council) represents highly skilled men and women throughout the building-trades industries, including carpenters, cabinetmakers, millwrights, piledrivers, lathers, framers, floorlayers, roofers, drywallers, and workers in forest-products and related industries.

* The United Food and Commercial Workers Union (Local 99) represents workers in health care, meatpacking, poultry and food processing, manufacturing, distillery, winery, textile and chemical trades, and retail food industries.

* The United Brotherhood of Teamsters (Local 104) represents individuals who work in transportation and freight-related industries.


"We choose to endorse Sen. Giffords because she is the only candidate with a proven track record of supporting working families," said Tom Hynes, Special Representative for the United Brotherhood of Carpenters Southwest Regional Council. "She has demonstrated that she understands the challenges that working people face. We believe she will serve the people of Arizona with strength and integrity."

The United Food and Commercial Workers Union echoed these beliefs. "Sen. Giffords is a champion for the issues that matter most to the working people of Southern Arizona," said Jim McLaughlin, President of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 99. "She has proven that she strongly believes in the right of workers to organize. She also supports raising the minimum wage and increased access to health care for all."

The United Brotherhood of Teamsters also lauded Sen. Giffords. "There was no question about who the Teamsters would endorse," said Joe Hernandez, Business Representative of the United Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 104. "Gabrielle has not shied away from being a fighter for the working men and women of Arizona, and we are confident that she will continue to do so in Washington, D.C."

5 comments:

union guy said...

In terms of membership, the carpenters, teamsters, and UFCW are three of the largest unions in the state, if not the largest. Gabby appears to be the labor movement's choice.

Geo said...

There are good qualities to Weiss and Latas. But when we look at Giffords, I think we're seeing the next US Representative from AZ-8.

We're going to be doing our part up here in AZ-5, too. Harry Mitchell is already within 5 points of incumbent Hayworth. I expect Hayworth is on the way out.

It'll be nice to have two Dem pickups from the Copper State!

Art Jacobson said...

Dear Anonymouse...

Awww, The grapes were probably sour, anyway.

Aesop

Protect Democracy said...

Congratulations to Giffords.

I hope the El Campo thing is not true.

On the RTA, I voted a big fat NO!!! And Mr. Farley has really made me mad.

I am beginning to think liberals are really stupid that they can't see through this sham of of plan. The fact that my tax dollars have to pay for this crappy plan makes me even angrier.

I drive both Speedway and Grant about 5 days a week from Harrison to Campbell. This Grant congestion is another big lie. Speedway is far more congested. Grant is where I spend a lot more time at businesses because they are nice, the stretch is much prettier, and easier to get around.

Mr. Farley sent me an email that had 3 lies in one paragraph. Very, very disappointing considering I already donated to his campaign. Well, I just found out a Democratic doctor is running against him in LD28. If he is against the RTA, he gets me vote.

Protect Democracy said...

I would agree the unions in Arizona are pretty worthless. Except SEIU which at least tries to do something in recent years anyway. I like all the things about Giffords mentioned except I don't think she has any fresh ideas and that concerns me. I would have liked to see her be bolder about the kind of legislation she sponsored. Playing it safe is what Democrats have done for too long and is why the extreme right wingers have trampled all over citizen rights in this state.

I will reserve judgment until I see more of her to know what new I ideas she will present. Her website sure does not reflect it. Even her policy person cannot come up with anything more original that ideas discussed 2 years ago. I really believe we need someone strong and bold. 30% of us are independents for a reason. Both parties really suck in this state. I am tired of voting the lesser of evils.