Saturday, June 17, 2006

64 Years Later...Making Do

Oh, poor me! Lacking my yearned-for Ural I have had to make do with this outfit, graciously loaned to me for the past six months by a dear friend and riding buddy. The bike was a BMW K1200RS. I say "was" because it has been so thoroughly modified...altered steering geometry and humungus Pirelli car tires...that it could no longer be ridden solo.

What a difference 64 years have made. Here we have fuel injection, water cooling, computer managed engine, and a hack wheel that steers with the front wheel of the bike. (But no two-wheel drive and no reverse as on the URAL, Nyeah, Nyeah, Nyeah.)

This outfit is blindingly fast and light as a feather. Its proud owner and tuner is coming back to Tucson (sob) to reclaim it and we're ducking business and politics for a merry chase through the twisties in Colorado. I'll be pursuing him on my trusty old k75. A good time will be had by all.


No comments: