Tuesday, June 20, 2006

On Line On The Go

Sometimes it seems to me that the old days really were better. We lashed our belongings on a clunky but reliable scoot and adventured off with a supply of spare parts. For the length of our trip we were as disconnected from national and business reality as hobos.

We did not carry: I-pods, transistor radios, cell phones, GPSs or high-tech camping equipment. We certainly did not carry computers. My computer experience this trip has been on-again/off-again. After having solved problems in Gallup I arrived in Gunnison absolutely unable to get my motel’s wi-fi connection to work. Nuts! Despair! Phooey!

I had given up when our fifteen year old assistant motel manager, hearing us complain, said, “Hey, I’ll reset it for you guys.” I didn’t have much faith so I went riding. Got back to the room this afternoon and found I had a connection strong enough to burn the bark off of trees!

Incidentally, two things I really miss on the road are NPR and decent Jazz. If you are one of those who mourned KUAZ’s replacing jazz with talk, or who can’t find an NPR station when you are spending a night in Dismal Seepage Nevada, let me remind you that you’re never without either if you have your ‘puter with you.

Right now I am listening “locally” to Tucson Jazz Radio. Listen here!

1 comment:

Art Jacobson said...

CC...

I certainly agree. I thought the Jazz programming was just a touch too 'elevator music.' Lots of people missed it, though.

I'm very pleased with Tucson Jazz Radio.

Art