Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Good Old Days...Not

The voice of the modem is heard again in our land. Sometime around four o’clock yesterday afternoon Qwest DSL went south for folks in my service area. I have made a number of calls, asking in a whining voice when service was going to be restored.

My answers have been varied, and presented in an equally varied number of accents. More or less the answers all amounted to, “We’re working on it.”

Desperate to check my e-mail I resurrected my Juno software and dialed up. Ah, how soon we forget! It seemed I’d have time to bake bread in the time the modern web site, layered with pop-ups, finished loading.

Part of my problem was that Juno was loading an update to its program in the background and doing it all with glacial determination. Once I was up and running I tried to download mail, only to find that my ISP’s mail server had apparently gone south too.

I just tried to get my mail…and still couldn’t do it. Now let’s see if I can post this.

Grrrrr!



No comments: