Sunday, September 10, 2006

ABC Agitprop


Let me again recommend David Kaiser’s blog “History Unfolding.” Kaiser is a well-respected historian who regularly publishes long, reflective, very un-blog-like, articles on foreign and domestic policy.

I hope you’ll grab a cup of coffee and click over to “History Unfolding” for his latest, on the ABC 9/11 Mini-Series.

………………………………………..

What are they thinking of? My very Republican next door neighbor has been sent an entertaining hit piece on Huffman. It shows him posed in a chicken suit and the theme is (surprise surprise) if you want a conservative you don’t want this guy…he’s chickened out six times on voting on illegal immigration.

The mailing is clearly labeled as from the Arizona Democratic Party. How will my neighbor take this? Will he think, “Thank God the Democrats have sent me this crucial information?” Or will he think, “Well, these Democratic rascals don’t want me to vote for Huffman so they must be really afraid of him. Guess I’ll vote Huffman?”

……………………………………….

Nothing is over ‘til it’s over and I can’t wait for the end of this primary season, which is one of the weirdest in my memory. For one thing I’ll be happy to see Democrats start attacking Republicans instead of one another.

Also, I’m not sure of the wisdom of spending money to play in the other guy’s primary, mainly because I have no idea if this is an effective use of campaign funds.

………………………………………..

I’m going to do the old fashioned thing on Tuesday and actually go to the polls. No vote by mail for me…that’s like going to church by mail.

7 comments:

SonoranDesertRat said...

I am thinking that the DCCC's involvement in the Republican primary is going to come back to haunt in a BIG way... Don't think for a second that the DCCC's campaign materials aren't going to be turned around on the Dem nominee. If Graf does indeed come out of this (as I thought would be the case even before Kolbe dropped out) then the Republicans are going to let everyone know that Graf is the Democrats' choice. By the time they get everything twisted, quoted out of context, and turned upside down, the "Democrats support Graf" message will stick. Just watch. If any of you give money to the DCCC, this would be a good point to reconsider future donations.

x4mr said...

This notion of one party trying to tell the other party's primary voters how to vote strikes me as, well, nuts.

I asked someone whom I consider to be an expert on this, and the response was that vast majority of people won't reach an understanding of where the flyer, tv ad, radio, etc., is coming from.

They just see good Steve or bad Steve, good Giffords or bad Giffords, and make no distinction regarding the messenger.

Things are looking pretty obvious at this point.

Go Randy!

FEDUP said...

I think the Arizona Democratic Party and the DCCC have lost their marbles.

They do a TV ad and mailer to hit Huffman. A Republican looks at the piece and who it from, and the first thing they think is that the Democrats don't want to go against Huffman so I must vote for Huffman.

If the Democrats were trying to run against Graf, this was the most ignorant strategy I have ever seen.

If they are trying to run against Huffman, it might be a smart strategy in that they get the weaker of the candidates to run against but then if Giffords is the nominee they will have a hard time differentiating between the two.

Either way the money would have been better spent on the nominee after the primary instead of pre-primary. It just goes to show how out of touch the state party and the national committees are with local politics.

I cast my vote via VBM and will let you know who I voted for in the various races on Wednesday. It was a toss up in CD8 I vacillated a lot on that one but finally decided I was going to vote for the best candidate despite my reservations about their campaign.

No one has commented on the Die for a Lie ad Latas is running. What do you all think about it?

x4mr said...

Fedup,

Noticed you asked me about "Die for a Lie" over at Eighth. Will answer here (folks interested in seeing it can go to Latas website and click on the ads link).

An effort to paint Giffords as favoring the war is silly. Perhaps his having a son who fought will produce some empathy.

Even if Latas DOUBLES what the polls show, he is only 10%.

From my perspective the horse race is on the red side, and my sentiments there have been made clear.

Randall Holdridge said...

I'm with you, Art, it's not really a vote unless you show up with your neighors and cast the damn thing.

I left a comment on you September 7 post "CD-8 beat goes on" meaning it for this thread.

I don't see any downside for anyone from the state and national parties' cash infusions into this race, assuming Graf wins.

With money in mind, remember that the day after he wins the Republican primary, Graf will have to truck himself out to Tucson Country Club and trade his "principles" for Click quick cash and diamonds.

Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall in that meeting? And imagine the Minuteman, creationist, homophobic, women-in-the-kitchen-barefoot-and pregnant movement's outrage when the news of his trade-offs oozes out!

Kralmajales said...

On "Die for a Lie". Of the top three, only Giffords ran NO ads attacking her primary opponents or a fellow Democrat. Not ONE attack ad.

Vote Giffords on Tuesday, unite the party, and let's take it to the Republicans.

sirocco said...

I have to agree with fedup and other posters, pumping funding into the Republican primary was simply a stupid decision. Leave it to them to hash things out.

I also agree with Kral, I feel a certain sense of irony over the fact that, despite attempts to label her as "negative", Giffords is the only one of the three leading Dem candidates who didn't run an ad aimed at a primary opponent.

I'm guessing there will be a big spate of anti-Giffords robo-calls today and tomrrow.